The future of microbiological diagnostics and infection epidemiology is increasingly centred on rapid molecular testing and the application of sequencing technology. Practitioners in these disciplines will have to process and interpret such data, which is very different from the familiar agar-centric clinical microbiology laboratories.
The Genomics and Clinical Microbiology course combines practical hands-on laboratory and bioinformatics work with faculty lectures by, and discussions with, leaders in this crucial, exciting, and expanding area. The aim is to equip clinical scientists, specialist registrars, and consultants in infection disciplines with sufficient understanding of these areas to meet these challenges. The course will concentrate on the application of cutting-edge molecular and genomic techniques that can be implemented now and explore new approaches that will enter practice in the near future. The programme will include sample collection and preparation, characterization of specimens with a variety of molecular techniques, and data interpretation using a variety of practical bioinformatic approaches.
The practical part of the course will provide laboratory
and computer sessions that will examine the application of molecular
(and specifically genomic) techniques to three example clinical problems
in tuberculosis, enteric infections, and encapsulated bacteria. There
will be demonstrations of the uses of different approaches in these
clinical areas. Participants will use data generated on the course to
make clinical and infection control decisions.
Please note: bursaries are available for clinical and academic applicants from anywhere in the world to attend this course, see below for details. This includes bursaries for UK registrars. In addition, CPD accreditation will be sought from the Royal College of Pathologists.
Feedback from the 2016 course:
- "This was a well run and very worthwhile course. It has completely changed my view and practice regarding genomics."
- "Genomics and Clinical Microbiology is the best course I have ever participated in. It blends clinical and molecular aspects of infectious disease diagnosis & epidemiology in a very clever way."
- "Excellent course, highly relevant for clinical microbiologists."
- "Great balance of practical and theoretical teaching."
- "It was a wonderful course and please keep running it!"