Nursing, Genomics and Healthcare (Virtual Conference)07 - 09 July 2021
Deadlines (at 23:59 UTC):
- Bursary deadline 27 April 2021
- Abstract deadline (poster & lightning talk) 11 May 2021
- Registration deadline 29 June 2021
Integrating Genomics into Nursing Practice and Education
Nurses comprise over 50% of the global healthcare workforce, and have an important role in bringing the benefits of genomics to patients. Despite this, genomics has not been systematically incorporated into nursing teaching curricula, and there have been no significant changes in nursing practice that bring genomics into day-to-day health care.
The inaugural conference aims to address these concerns by focusing on pathways and resources to integrate genomics into clinical practice and nursing education.
Overall the conference will focus on three strategic areas:
- Methods of achieving genomic competency, implementation, and integration into the practice setting, academic preparation, regulatory guidance and policy
- Mechanisms for international collaborative efforts on nursing genomic integration and evidence-based research
- International genomic nursing competencies, genomic integration assessment tool (ASIGN), and the G2NA implementation roadmap
This conference will bring together nurses and educators interested in mainstreaming genomics in the areas of education, practice, policy, research and leadership.
The online format will include presentations from international leaders, panel discussions and debates. Sessions will run in afternoons for Europe and Africa | mornings for the Americas, enabling practitioners from across the globe to take part.
Registration bursaries are available for this event.
Abstracts on all areas of the conference are welcome for poster and 1 minute oral presentations.
The conference will run from Wednesday 7 July and finish on Friday 9 July 2021.
Sessions will start at 13:00 BST (07:00 EST) and finish at approximately 18:00 BST (13:00 EST) each day. See the time where you are here.
Topics will include:
- Driving and measuring change
- Genomic implementation
- Exemplars in genomic practice integration
- Genomic education
- Leadership and collaboration: growing genomic nursing integration from scratch
- Policy and regulation
- Public, patient, and family expectations of genomics and the healthcare workforce
- Action plan for establishing a collaborative genomic nursing competency
- Organisers/ Speakers
Conference programme committee
National Cancer Institute, USA
Sek Ying Chair
The Nethersole School of Nursing, Hong Kong, China
University of South Wales, UK
Erika Maria Santos
Hospital Sírio-Libanês, Brazil
University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA
Genomics England, UK
Patricia Brennan – Samuel Merritt University, USA
Kathleen Calzone – National Cancer Institute, USA
Sek Ying Chair – The Chinese University of Hong Kong, China
Martina Cornel – Dutch National Patient Alliance for Rare & Genetic Diseases, The Netherlands
Greg Feero – Maine-Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency, USA
Candace Henley – Blue Hat Foundation, USA
Stacy Hines-Dowell – St Jude’s Childrens Hospital, USA
Jane Maguire – University of Technology Sydney, Australia
Vicky Nembaware – African Genomic Medicine Training Initiative, South Africa
Mark Radford – Health Education England, UK
Janice Sigsworth – Imperial College Healthcare, UK
Emma Tonkin – University of South Wales, UK
Scientific Conferences Team
Jemma Hume– Conference & Events Organiser
Jane Murphy – Scientific Programme Officer
- Registration / Bursaries
The virtual registration package includes: Access to all live-streamed sessions (including poster sessions and online networking channels), as well as access to all sessions ‘on-demand’ for four weeks after the event. Log in details for the virtual conference portal will be provided on Monday before the event.
Standard rate Student / Trainee £50 Delegates from LMICs* £50 Nurse / Academic £100 Commercial £150
*To increase the international diversity of attendees at our meetings, we have reduced fees for delegates from Lower and Middle Income Countries (see list of countries here).
A number of free-registration bursaries are available for this event thanks to generous support from NIH.
To apply for a bursary, please send the conference organiser:
- a letter explaining how you will benefit from attending the conference
- a short CV
You will be sent a unique registration link which will hold your place, without taking payment, until you have been notified of the outcome of your application.
If you have already registered for the conference you are still welcome to apply for a bursary.
Priority will be given to students, trainees and nurses from under-resourced regions.
Bursary deadline: 27 April 2021
Additional funding opportunities
Visit our support page for additional financial support currently available.
We welcome abstracts for poster and lightning talk presentation on all areas relevant to the meeting.
Abstracts will only be considered from registered delegates. Please use our online abstract submission system and follow the instructions given to ensure your abstract is submitted correctly. All abstracts must be submitted by the deadline. If you are intending to submit more than one abstract, please contact the conference organiser prior to registration.
The scientific programme committee will assess your abstract after the deadline has passed and you will be notified whether you have been selected for an oral or poster presentation.
All abstract submissions accepted for a poster presentation will be given the opportunity to upload a short video describing their work.
Poster and lightning talk presentations: 11 May 2021
How to upload an abstract once you have already completed registration:
1. Log back into your registration account using either Firefox or Internet Explorer as your browser, via link above the ‘Share’ button on the right hand column of this page
2. Click on ‘Account’ (top right).
3. Then click on ‘View account history’. This will show a table of your event registrations.
4. In the right-hand column you will see the option to ‘Upload file’ – click on this and select to upload an abstract.
If you are interested in supporting or exhibiting at this meeting, please contact the conference organiser.